Artist painting of Salem exterior
Salem Lutheran Church as dedicated in May 1880.
black and white artist sketch from Pollard Street
Our History
page 2

A meeting house building was started but never completed.  However, the congregation did meet there until 1855, when they moved to Centre School
(NW corner of Zionsville Road and 71st Street) and met there until 1859.  In
1858, they organized and "We now assume to ourselves the name of Salem."
In August 1858, Joseph and Esther Klingensmith quit claimed a lot in Augusta Station (New Augusta) for a Church House.  This property was on the east side
of Augusta Road at 72nd Street.  There were evidently some questions about the use of the land.
In 1876, at the northwest corner of Walnut (now 72nd Street) and Pollard Streets in the town of Hosbrook (Augusta Station west of the railroad), a magnificent new brick building was begun, and dedicated May 9, 1880 (see photo below).
This is still our house of worship with several additions and renovations over the past 130 years.  The early pioneers built a strong symbol of their faith which still calls us today to follow our Lord, Jesus Christ.

Facebook fans will find
photos at Salem175.


 Home | Shalom | Directions | Contact Us | Our Pastor | Worship/Music | Our History  | News | Photos
Salem Lutheran Church, ELCA Indianapolis